Thursday, September 29, 2011

School is Crazy!




Hey everyone! I know I haven't made a post in a while. School has been really intense and I'm kind my schedule is constantly packed with school and work lately. I'm also a little bit worried about applying to other nursing programs which I plan on doing because the nursing program I am currently attending has a nursing program that is really difficult to get into. So I'm applying to other colleges' nursing programs in hopes of getting into one! *CROSSES FINGERS* As you may or may not know my fiance is in the Air Force and is currently stationed in another state and I'm thinking about applying to a nursing program in that state. As of right now, I'm a pre-nursing student. I'm not sure if other schools out of Florida do that but for most nursing programs in Florida you have to take your pre-requisites prior to getting accepted into the program. Whereas the program in the state my fiance lives in has the nursing program and the regular academic courses (math, english, anatomy I&II, micro, chem.,etc.) within the nursing program. I'm really worried about not getting into a nursing program. Did any of you have to wait a while to get into a program or did you get into one right away? Is nursing a popular major in your state? I feel as though nursing is one of the top majors here due to the number of retirees that reside here. Yet, with all the people wanting to get into a program, only a handful get in. And I ACTUALLY want to be a nurse. Ugh. Anyway, I guess I have to get back to studying now, I absolutely have to get all A's this semester because these are my science/nursing type courses. Wish me luck! I'll try and post again soon about stuff unrelated to school. hehe

^-^Apriljoy

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You can do it hun!
Nothing is impossible!
I am happy for you, and i know you'll do great!

Good Luck and God Bless!
mmuaah stay happy and pretty =)

Apriljoy said...

Awh
Thank you. I needed that! Same to you! :)

angryuterus said...

I think most states/schools require prereques to be finished first. I mean they aren't going to invest in someone who isn't pulling the grades, kwim? I think I only waited like 6-9 mo to hear I was accepted into my program, then I waited another like 6 mo to start the program. I probably wouldn't have had to wait that long if I would have gotten my act together and submitted the application sooner.

Also I'm going to a community college. They (in my experience) ALL offer more clinical and the students are better fit for floor work when they graduate. If you aren't working in the field already, that's helpful. BSN programs I've noticed have smart students, but they focus more on the management aspects of nursing leaving students and new grads more frazzled when they start work.

With that said, I was just impatient and took the ADN program's acceptance over the BSN cause it was cheaper and started sooner, lol. I figured I could go back quickly for my BSN and work at the same time, and I've heard the BSN is a lot easier then the ADN since its all paperwork (for the most part).

Sorry for the ramble! Is your fiance stationed in Omaha? I used to live there back in the day. :)

Nikki said...

My girlfriend just graduated nursing school and got a great job in Seattle. It's not a very popular major here because it's so hard. But I do appreciate nurses that can draw blood well. Very important!

Apriljoy said...

@angryuterus

Sorry I was late to reply! But thank you for you advice I really appreciate it! I know exactly where you coming from about the BSN program. I currently work at a hospital and almost all the nurses I work with tell me that it's better to do an ADN/ASN degree because most of the college that offer an ADN/ASN degree offer more hands on experience in comparison to the other colleges.

The college I go to offers an ASN program where I can later go from ASN-BSN and an ASN-MSN which are both fully online. I think a lot of colleges now offer ASN-BSN programs fully online which is nice. Plus, the ASN program is a lot cheaper for me (my scholarship pays for all my schooling right now so I'm trying to save all the money I get from that. ha)

I hope I don't have to wait too long to get into a program. That's good that you were able to get in! Congrats on graduating soon!! :)

And my fiancé home base is currently in Arkansas. :)

@Nikki
Wow that's so awesome! I can't wait til I get at the point! Yeah nursing is such a popular major here in Fl. Probably because of all the retirees! haha ^-^

CatCat said...

School may be hard, yet if you want to be a competent nurse, you really need to learn and study, eh. You can do it for all nurses today happened to experience that difficulty too. :)

Cheers,
Cathy@When Nursing is not Meant for You